Thursday 17 July 2008

The great journey - prologue

In the lead up to my deployment I decided it would be a good idea to do some traveling around the North Island and visit some old friends. Last Tuesday I drove up to Hamilton Where I had dinner with a old flatmate however due to a communication breakdown I did not see anyone else from this area. Wednesday saw me on the desert road where I set a new distance record for my car, 615km on one tank.

I carried on South through Palmerston North and got to Wellington after nightfall. This did not aid me in trying to find the house of an old friend in the suburbs. However I did and after a quick catch up I carried on into Wellington Central. Stayed with another old flatmate right in the heart of the city in Mount Victoria. Had a few drinks here then walked down to Courtney place where I found a nice Irish pub and some friends from the army. Continued drinking and had a very good night. side note, you know you are an alcoholic when you go home from town and keep drinking.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday saw me drinking in Palmy with Simon despite the fact I was going to continue my tour. However this would have been difficult as When I was not drinking I was either sleeping or hungover. Overall had a good time in Palmy. Finally on Sunday I drove home and then got my brother to drop me off at Ohakea for my flight on Monday.

The flight itself was long (6 hours) and relatively uneventful. I spent the flight either sleeping on top of luggage in a raised nook or staring out the window looking for land. Arrived in Honiara to discover that it was unsurprisingly, hot. I have spent the last two days trying to get used to the heat and the routine here. The locals are very friendly and wave all the time, some gave us some watermelon today. Had better wrap this up now as I still have things to do and tomorrow is a busy day. Oh, it is 10pm as I write this and it is still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment