Monday 10 November 2014

Nobody likes dogs

Is what have deduced from my search for a new place to live. Oh, this place looks perfect. Sorry, no dogs! Bugger! Well I still have a few weeks left on that one. And a couple of prospects have just opened up.

I have completed a couple of observer shifts with St John and seen some interesting stuff. A lot of slow and routine things but a bit of excitement now and then. For the rest of this month I have training courses so that by the time December rolls around I will be useful on the ambulance.

I joined the volunteer fire service here in Levin (because why not). Seems like a cool brigade, lot of humour. There are a couple of new recruits I will go through the programme with so that helps. Hopefully the med screening gets sorted quickly though, I don't fancy waiting three years to get on the appliance.

I completed the Combat Fitness Test for the army back in the holidays, Much prefer it to the RFL. Much more functional and realistic, even if it does take longer. Particularly proud that as the only Reserve I managed to beat the Regulars on a couple of tasks. Although very few of them seemed to understand the meaning of 'operationally valid pace'.

I had a holiday of sorts somewhere there. Got away up to the Bay of Plenty for a few days of R & R, then came back through the Naki to see the family. Really racking up the miles on the car. Might be time for a new one soon.

I'm now officially on the system for LandSAR, so as soon as I can get to some training I will increase my chances of being used. Unfortunately I have a lot of ambulance training over the next few months. Might be a struggle fitting everything in. Good thing I don't have much of a social life eh :P


I spent the weekend up in Taupo with some good mates. Went prawn fishing, had a bit of a paddle in the lake and a few brews. Was good to get some relaxing in. Brilliant weather too, just a shame we didn't get out on the lake. But there is always next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment