Sunday 17 January 2010

Sodomy non sapiens

Yet another day off due to snow this week, so that is 6 days work in the last fortnight. Lets hope I actually get a full weeks work in this time. Although I have now met all my students. Most are pretty good but I can already see some that will give me trouble. Best learn their names and thrash them early. Otherwise settling in alright, finding my place and getting into the routine.

I have discovered that I should not buy books. Because I immediately drop everything and read them. First the second Gears of War book, Jacintos Remnant by Karen Traviss. Based immediately after Gears of War 2 and deals with the evacuation of Jacinto and the deployment of the Hammer of Dawn. An interesting read, but lacked the emotional impact of the first one. The last Saturday night I sat down with Mort by Terry Pratchett, next thing I know it is 3am. So I went to bed and finished it when I woke up. Very funny and interesting book all about Death taking on an apprentice then going on holiday, now there is only another 20 or so to go. Followed that up with Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. A boy goes of to battle school at 6 and learns to fight aliens and deal with other students. Very good concept this one, with an interesting twist at the end. Most recently I took Old Mans War by John Scalzi with me on my trip to Chelmsford for a medical. Almost managed to finish it on the train too. Another military sci-fi and a very interesting thing. Basic plot is This man reaches the age of 75, goes off to space, gets a new green body, becomes a soldier, and then fights aliens off-world. It also had some great humour to it.

Oh, on the RPG front, the last game got called off. This round its post-apocalyptic England with dragons/demons/etc and I am a military medical experiment that became a brilliant engineer/doctor who wanders the wastelands fixing people and stuff. So far I have ingratiated myself into a community by patching up several people and created a gas mask for fighting dragons. Fun so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment