Tuesday 15 April 2008

You think I care?

Yay, last week. Four days to go and I will be finished with Waitara High School for a good while. As much as some days have been enjoyable, I can't wait to start my holiday and start gearing up for deployment. Apparently you need to do lots of things before you go overseas, who knew? If only I wasn't sick at the moment these four days would go a lot smoother. But at least this way I should be better by the time I go on holiday, woo!

Went to the staff quiz night on Friday. Played for the youngsters team which managed to come in second behind the dinosaurs team (which included my parents), Which I don't think is too bad. However I was the only science teacher there, but the science questions were hardly scientific. (What is the birthstone for November. Seriously?). And I still dispute the newest country question. It is not East Timor, that was created in 2002. The newest country is Kosovo, created in February and I know as I have a friend serving there and during their first independence day.

Paddled in the gutbuster on Saturday for the 'pie munchers' team. We came in seventh in our division which I think is pretty good considering I am relatively new to kayaking and our cyclist was 14 weeks pregnant. And the team that won had an olympic triathlete in their team. The 12km paddle went ok however it was longer than I thought it would be, every corner was a case of 'Just one more bend'. On the bright side, I still haven't been struck down with muscle aches and stiffness so I must have done enough training. Although maybe this cold is my body's revenge, stupid body.

Played poker on Saturday night. Texas hold'em is a rather complicated game with the big blind and small blinds and all that. As we drank more and more the game devolved into straight bet hold'em, asshole, last card and finally pyramid. Then I walked all the way into town and didn't go into a single pub, what fun. still, overall it was a good night, what with playing the old records on 45 (Bowie's a chipmunk!).

Oh, the bike is now complete, got all of my riding gears and tail pack so I can go touring in it properly now, just need a fine weekend or some free time to head off...

No comments:

Post a Comment