Friday 14 August 2009

Naughtiness in Nice

I didn't see much of Nice. I got in around 8 at night, found the hostel and cleaned up, then went into town for a much-needed drink. I saw a group of people heading somewhere so thought I would tag along, Turns out it was a Topdeck tour group, comprised mainly of Aussies and kiwis. I went into the bar with them and listened to a Dutch band play English and American music, hung out with a school teacher from England, and thats about all I remember. I somehow ended up further down the coast without shoes or keys, God knows what happened to them. I made my way back to the hostel but couldn't get into my room so I lay down to rest with a half-bag of cement mix for a pillow. Eventually got into the room when the manager found me. I spent the next day walking around re-hydrating, trying to find first my keys and then something to get me into my backpack. I finally found a $2 shop and got some pliers and new padlocks. I got into my bags and then started the journey to Barcelona. Or so I thought.

It had been confusing me as to why I had to go back East to Italy to go West to Spain, but there appeared to be no alternative. I tried to reserve a bed on the train from Turin to Barcelona but was told I had to do that in Turin. So I caught several trains and arrived in Turin around 9pm. Only to be told the train was full and the next one wasn't until Sunday! Met up with some girls from Iceland who were in the same predicament so we discovered there was a train to Barcelona at 8 the next morning. So I spent an uncomfortable night at the station with the two girls before catching the onwards train. But it wasn't one train, no that would be too simple. We pretty much had to change at every station we got to.

No comments:

Post a Comment