Wednesday 12 August 2009

R & R in Rijeka

I found Rijeka to be a nice, relatively quiet Mediterranean city, not very pretty but it has character. It is very industrial but with development could become a nice tourist spot. I found my hostel, a small, eastern European affair, though quite nice, easily enough. Then I sat for a bit getting my land legs back after too damn long on the train. Then I met the Aussie girl who was in my room so we went to the beach. It was rather nice despite the rocky shore, near naked older people and oily slick. Later we discovered we had gone to the dirty beach and there was a better one further out. Me, I was just glad for a wash after 3 days of travel. I spent my time seeing the sights with the Aussie girl but didn't go out. It was a Monday after all and god knows I needed a decent sleep. Problem was it was too damn hot. That and in the middle of the night here was a huge thunderstorm, I got woken up by one hit I thought was an explosion.

The following day I just bimbled around town, not doing much until my train at around 2100. This one is in much better nick than the others I have seen. Only problem is I had a 5 hour layover in Pivka, somewhere in Slovenia, between 11 and 4am, before heading on to Venice. good thing I got a new book. Also, I will be back in the Eurozone, no more changing money bullshit. Oh and guess what, the train forgot to stop for me in Pivka, so I had to catch another train back to there. Good thing I had plenty of time on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment